Welcome to Sub Tuum Praesidium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Baking Bread

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Abby

Abby

Bus driver

• Servant of servants
  • 681 posts
  • Religion:Catholic
So I picked up a copy of Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day at a cookbook sale and am excited to try it out. I love making homemade bread but (surprise surprise) have not as much spare time these days to do it. So I'm excited to try this method out and have fresh bread more often. My hubby and son love bread so I am hoping this will be a hit with them too. I just ordered a big covered bowl from Amazon so I will start when that arrives in a couple of days. Woot!
~ "Grace, to the Catholic way of thinking, can and does use as its medium the imperfect, purely human, and even hypocritical." - Flannery O'Connor

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei
  • Religion:troll
Whoa. Luthien just started using that book. B)
The universe is a hologram which is isomorphic to the information inscribed on the surface of its boundary.

Gianna

Gianna

My salvation lies in your love.

• Citizen
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationWest Coast hip hop
That looks interesting. I bake breads a lot the old fashion way and it can get labor intensive, so that looks pretty awesome. Let me know how it works out!

Abby

Abby

Bus driver

• Servant of servants
  • 681 posts

Whoa. Luthien just started using that book. B)

Yeah I think I saw her say something about it on FB the other day. I had just gotten mine, I think.

That looks interesting. I bake breads a lot the old fashion way and it can get labor intensive, so that looks pretty awesome. Let me know how it works out!

I am pretty stoked to try it out! I will post pics. :D
~ "Grace, to the Catholic way of thinking, can and does use as its medium the imperfect, purely human, and even hypocritical." - Flannery O'Connor

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei
Luthien has a big bowl of dough in the fridge and in the morning she'll grab a ball of the dough and throw it in the oven. It seems pretty easy. Also, today she grabbed some of the dough and made a pizza real quick.

Gianna, she says it doesn't take the place of traditional baking, it's just a convenience for making good bread real quick. The dough can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks and they say it gets better as it ages.

ETA: The video on that amazon page that Abby linked shows how the basic loaf is made. There are different versions of the dough recipe and many other things that you can do with it.
The universe is a hologram which is isomorphic to the information inscribed on the surface of its boundary.

Abby

Abby

Bus driver

• Servant of servants
  • 681 posts
Yeah I have now read through the book and it has a lot of options but is not a method that seems like it would work with all types of breads. I will have to try it out, though. There are plenty of variations on the basic artisan bread plus there are some egg-enriched breads and a brioche recipe that look interesting as dessert or breakfast breads. I'll try out the simpler recipe first to get a hang of the method and then branch out.

Gueranger

Gueranger
  • Citizen
  • 35 posts
  • Religion:Conservative RC
I use the Complete Book of Breads by Bernard Clayton. it has 300 or so recipes and includes instructions for using a food processor as well as doing the recipe by hand. It has a great variety of different kinds of breads as well.

Tridenteen

Tridenteen

Tsarina, Webmistress, Flutist, Soprano...Catholic.

• Servant of servants
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationBetween the Veil
  • Religion:Tridentine Rite Catholic
I have never made bread, but it's on the list of things I want to do one day in the distant future. The one thing that terrifies me is the whole concept of the dough raising because it seems like one of those things that if you don't "get it" then it will be an absolute disaster.
"When I lived most happily without thinking of affection, You wanted me to love you; and I loved You with a Passion. And I will continue to love You even after death. I will love You with all of my soul, and whereas the heart stops beating the soul never dies." -Montserrat Grases

buy some coffee/tea build a monastery http://www.mysticmonkcoffee.com/store/storefront.php

Gueranger

Gueranger
  • Citizen
  • 35 posts
  • Religion:Conservative RC

I have never made bread, but it's on the list of things I want to do one day in the distant future. The one thing that terrifies me is the whole concept of the dough raising because it seems like one of those things that if you don't "get it" then it will be an absolute disaster.

do it anyway, hun. its ok if you make a mistake or two. Bread is a forgiving medium :)
*hugs

Marie-Azélie

Marie-Azélie

/)^ 3 ^(\

• Citizen
  • 825 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Religion:Roman Catholic
Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day changed my life.

I made the French Bread from it today and there's a big bucket of sandwich loaf dough in the fridge right now, actually.
"The simplest and the wisest thing in all cases is to submit to God's will, and to prepare in advance to bear one's cross as bravely as possible." ~ Zelie Martin

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day changed my life.

I made the French Bread from it today and there's a big bucket of sandwich loaf dough in the fridge right now, actually.

:applause:

Sacred Music Man

Sacred Music Man

Elementary

• Citizen
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Religion:Roman Catholic
I should get in on this thread. I have a friend who is going to mentor me in the ways of bread... starting with cultivating my own yeast
:metal:
O bone Jesu, miserére nobis,
quia tu creásti nos,
tu redemísti nos sánguine
tuo pretiosíssimo.