Welcome to Sub Tuum Praesidium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Letter from Fellay to Williamson leaked

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Crusader

Crusader

The Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and him only shalt thou serve

• Citizen
  • 830 posts
  • Religion:Catholic (traditionalist)
I would be happy to invite you to the SSPX Superiors’ meeting to be held in Albano early in October, as the nature and composition of the meeting has been somewhat changed because of current events. I would also be happy to send you a text from Rome to which they want a reply. However, I find myself obliged to attach conditions to each of these points.

Firstly, as to the text, I ask of you an oath in writing that you will communicate to nobody either the text or its content. Too often in the past you have lacked discretion, so I am obliged to submit you to a procedure of this kind, which I am not happy to have to do.

Secondly, as to the meeting in Albano, I can only invite you to attend insofar as you stop publishing Eleison Comments. You have already been given the reason several times, as you have been given the order to stop. You considered that for the sake of the preaching and defence of the Faith you needed pay no attention, on the pretext that nobody had the right to stop a bishop from fulfilling his duty to preach and defend the Faith. But such preaching and defence of the Faith are inserted in concrete circumstances which may well call for superiors to intervene. Besides, no other bishop of the SSPX publishes a circular letter and considers himself thereby hindered from expressing himself.

Moreover the consequences of your attitude are harmful to the SSPX: you ooze distrust towards SSPX headquarters and the Superior General. You cannot help yourself communicating this feeling to those around you. No revolution could do a better job of undermining authority… and this you do in the name of a supposed possible betrayal on the part of the Superior General… That is very serious.

Especially when a certain number of indications show that your action is not confined to theory:

1 To an Argentinian priest from the Novus Ordo who asks for your advice, you recommend that he should not join the SSPX.

2 To an American layman you write that the apostasy of the mainstream Church is farther advanced than that of the SSPX. How can you write such things, false and unjust, against the Society of which you are still a member?

3 There exists in Anglo-saxon circles a network of infiltrators of the SSPX preparing a break-away. You are put forward as the head of this movement, you are the friend of its leaders and you are playing their game.

And you talk to us of being double tongued! As for the unity of the SSPX, the one most putting it in danger is yourself, your Excellency! Always in the name of defense of the Faith. In such a grave moment as the confrontation now taking place between ourselves and the Holy See, the outcome of which will be decisive for our own future and not without consequences for the entire Church, I ask you then, once more, to remain silent until further orders. If you were to refuse to heed this directive, it would mean both your not being invited to the Albano meeting and the starting of the canonical procedure leading to exclusion from the SSPX. So I await your reply.

All of this is most sad, and it has nothing to do with the confrontation just mentioned, whatever you may think. The loss of one of its bishops is one of the worst things that could happen to the SSPX. It depends entirely on you to spare it such a misfortune. Do believe, your Excellency, in my fervent prayers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
BpF.

Source

Archangel3

Archangel3

Filius ancillae tuae

• Citizen
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSub Praesidium Mariae
  • Religion:Roman Catholic
I don't buy it.
To light, to life, to love! -Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity

Optimism? Yes, always! Even when things seem to turn out badly: perhaps that is the time to break into a song, with a Gloria, because you have sought refuge in him, and nothing but good can come to you from him. -St. Josemaría Escrivá

Crusader

Crusader

The Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and him only shalt thou serve

• Citizen
  • 830 posts
  • Religion:Catholic (traditionalist)

I don't buy it.

That's fine, but it seems genuine.

Dear Maurice Pinay,

Please publish on the same blog on which you published the Sept 23 letter of Bishop Fellay to me, the following message --

The September 23 letter from Bishop Fellay to me, as posted on the Maurice Pinay blog, is authentic, but it was put on the Internet without my knowledge and without my permission. I sent a copy to friends to ask their advice or to tell them why I was not present at the Albano meeting, but never did I want that copy to appear in public. I have no idea who posted it, nor do I ask who did so.

Bishop Richard Williamson, London, 14 Oct. 2011

Archangel3

Archangel3

Filius ancillae tuae

• Citizen
  • 397 posts
Yes, I read that, too. Still don't buy it. The style seems very unprofessional.

Optimism? Yes, always! Even when things seem to turn out badly: perhaps that is the time to break into a song, with a Gloria, because you have sought refuge in him, and nothing but good can come to you from him. -St. Josemaría Escrivá

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Citizen
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationCanada
If it's genuine, and I'm somewhat inclined to think so, then I think it all but guarantees that Fellay intends to accept the Doctrinal Preamble.
24This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.
25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.
Jn:21:24-25

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

Ecce Agnus Dei, ecce qui tollit peccata mundi

• Servant of servants
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationDixie
  • Religion:traditional Catholic
Ehh... Fake or real right now I think it's gossip... If real I don't believe + Williamson should have shared this letter with anyone as + Fellay asked quite clearly. Surely he would have known it would have been leaked.
Behold, he cometh with the clouds, and every eye shall see him, and they also that pierced him. And all the tribes of the earth shall bewail themselves because of him. Even so. Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, saith the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.

Marie-Therese

Marie-Therese

Do all things with love.

• Citizen
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationEx nihlio
To the Disputations with this!
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. ~George Carlin

Tridenteen

Tridenteen

Tsarina, Webmistress, Flutist, Soprano...Catholic.

• Servant of servants
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationBetween the Veil
  • Religion:Tridentine Rite Catholic
It would be terribly petty to "leak" an official email, ergo I wouldn't completely disregard the email as a fake.
"When I lived most happily without thinking of affection, You wanted me to love you; and I loved You with a Passion. And I will continue to love You even after death. I will love You with all of my soul, and whereas the heart stops beating the soul never dies." -Montserrat Grases

buy some coffee/tea build a monastery http://www.mysticmonkcoffee.com/store/storefront.php

Aloysius

Aloysius
  • Citizen
  • 89 posts
  • Religion:Catholic
I don't doubt it's real. as said on the blog "those with the necessary connections can verify its veracity". I think if it wasn't real it would've been disputed by now by someone "in the know".

+Fellay's point seems PROVEN by the fact that this letter was leaked. He sent the letter to a few people he trusted to ask for advice, and then it was leaked. imagine if he had the text of the preamble, what few trusted people might he send that to in order to ask advice? perhaps those same few people, who might leak the preamble in its present form if they thought something in it might inspire an sspx schism.

all in all, I agree with +Fellay's letter. Williamson cannot be trusted to keep secrets like this, Williamson has spoken against the SSPX leadership, and Williamson speaks without discretion about his controversial opinions that are political/historical outside the scope of faith and morals and, what is worse, he insinuates that those political/historical positions ought to be held by any faithful traditional Catholic.

trusting him with a document that the Holy See has asked remain confidential at this time would have been a TERRIBLE mistake, note that this letter itself was leaked: QED.

Cam42

Cam42

ad primum quod non intendunt pugnare errorem sed qui cognoverunt

• Citizen
  • 2,014 posts
  • Locationyour local Catholic church
I've read a great deal of what +Fellay has written and this sounds nothing like him. I would put dollars to doughnuts that this is not authentic.

As was stated above, even if it were, I think that it is salacious and unadulterated gossip and should be avoided.
I have no memento to give you apart from an invitation to holiness. It would seem that people are no longer convinced by our preaching; but faced with holiness, they still believe, they still fall to their knees and pray. People seem to live ignorant of supernatural realities, indifferent to the problems of salvation. But when an authentic saint, living or dead passes by, all run to be there. . Do not forget that the devil is not afraid of our [parish] sports fields and of our movie halls: he is afraid, on the other hand, of our holiness. -- Bl. Ildephonso Schuster, OSB

Archangel3

Archangel3

Filius ancillae tuae

• Citizen
  • 397 posts

I don't doubt it's real. as said on the blog "those with the necessary connections can verify its veracity".

That doesn't mean anything, anyone can say that. Watch:

"President Obama has announced today that he will be resigning as President of the United States of America. The announcement has come at a time when the president's popularity ratings are at an all time low. President Obama says that he will spend his time soul searching and enjoying the company of his family in the small Colorado town of Leadville. Those with the necessary connections can verify the veracity of this report."

:mellow:

I think if it wasn't real it would've been disputed by now by someone "in the know".

I doubt it. If it is fake it is just a stupid internet scam which might have elements of truth. Why would Bishop Fellay bother?

Aloysius

Aloysius
  • Citizen
  • 89 posts
many who follow Mr. Maurice Pinay's blog, as far as I can tell, have contact with +Williamson. not exactly the same as your Obama example, as many people around the traditionalist online world have the connections necessary to confirm or deny the letter.

one Dr Drolesky says he has contacted the bishop and ascertained that the letter is genuine, but that it was apparently mistakenly sent... that the letter he was supposed to receive was not supposed to contain the threat of expulsion from the society... strange story indeed. it also sounds like the Doctrinal Preamble, at least in its present form, was pretty largely opposed by the district superiors. I hope they can find a way to alter it that works for both sides :/
http://christorchaos...x.html.mno.html

Cam42

Cam42

ad primum quod non intendunt pugnare errorem sed qui cognoverunt

• Citizen
  • 2,014 posts
  • Locationyour local Catholic church

many who follow Mr. Maurice Pinay's blog, as far as I can tell, have contact with +Williamson. not exactly the same as your Obama example, as many people around the traditionalist online world have the connections necessary to confirm or deny the letter.

one Dr Drolesky says he has contacted the bishop and ascertained that the letter is genuine, but that it was apparently mistakenly sent... that the letter he was supposed to receive was not supposed to contain the threat of expulsion from the society... strange story indeed. it also sounds like the Doctrinal Preamble, at least in its present form, was pretty largely opposed by the district superiors. I hope they can find a way to alter it that works for both sides :/
http://christorchaos...x.html.mno.html

With regard to Dr. Drolesky; I tend not to put much credence in a sedevacantist reactionary whistleblower. I'm just sayin'.
I have no memento to give you apart from an invitation to holiness. It would seem that people are no longer convinced by our preaching; but faced with holiness, they still believe, they still fall to their knees and pray. People seem to live ignorant of supernatural realities, indifferent to the problems of salvation. But when an authentic saint, living or dead passes by, all run to be there. . Do not forget that the devil is not afraid of our [parish] sports fields and of our movie halls: he is afraid, on the other hand, of our holiness. -- Bl. Ildephonso Schuster, OSB

Aloysius

Aloysius
  • Citizen
  • 89 posts
I put credence in him insofar as I think he does have contact with +Williamson. So I think it likely that +Williamson confirmed he received the letter and gave some strange account that the letter wasn't meant to be sent in that form (which would mean +Fellay had at least drafted a letter that included the threat of expulsion from the society but may have intended to send a revised version without that threat). And I think it likely that +Williamson's impression is that the district superiors oppose the Doctrinal Preamble. He could be wrong on that matter, perhaps only some of them do, or that they simply have some reservations about a point or two that may be able to be fleshed out.

there are some other accounts from people who claim contact with +Williamson that confirm the letter's authenticity. it was claimed that someone asked Mr. Stephen Heiner of the blog "True Restoration", known to be a friend of +Williamson, who also confirmed it. Mr. Heiner has a blog so he's part of the whole online traditionalist world, so I would imagine if people were claiming that he confirmed its authenticity when, in fact, he hadn't, I imagine he'd use his blog to set the record straight on that.

all of this is pointing in the direction of the letter being real, it's all circumstantial. more important than any of that is that I believe Mr. Maurice Pinay would recognize the source of the notice from +Williamson and know whether it was from his excellency or not.

one of the things I admire about the SSPX movement is that there is a relatively higher degree of access to four down-to-earth bishops than one generally feels around the bureaucratic nightmare that is a diocesan office, and that sense that I've gotten from the SSPX over the years is what leads me to believe the credibility of this letter.

+Williamson just published new Eleison comments (which deserve a read and a good lively debate), which also do not claim that the letter, of which he is no doubt aware, is a forgery. he doesn't mention it; if it were a forgery, I do imagine he would want to set the record straight as soon as possible.

ultimately I think it was through one of +Williamson's trusted friends that the letter was leaked (perhaps one of these trusted friends that are part of the potential brake-away group +Fellay allegedly mentioned in this letter). and again, I think that's proof positive that it was wise not to trust +Williamson with the preamble text. if it is true that he expressed to Dr. Drolesky the sense that the superiors general opposed the Preamble, that's even more damning about his indiscretion. I get the impression that one of the main reasons the Holy See wants the Preamble confidential is so that if the SSPX asks for an alteration and the Holy See grants such an alteration, it can't be touted in the press as "Vatican backs off of requiring SSPX to adhere to Vatican II" or "Vatican betrays the Council!" or any other such way to embarrass the Holy See. +Williamson is not trustworthy with this confidentiality; or at least the friends he chooses to trust are not trustworthy.