Welcome to Sub Tuum Praesidium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Evolution

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Mark of teh Cross

Mark of teh Cross

The Bulging Bastion

• Citizen
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationPurgatory
  • Religion:Catholic Church of Nice
Hows this for a smart Ape?

Paddington

Paddington

The guess-your-age/weight guy who is just too nice.

• Citizen
  • 955 posts
  • Religion:stuff to do with bears
Dope!

Sternhauser

Sternhauser
  • Citizen
  • 78 posts
  • Religion:Roman Catholic
Chimpanzees also hold a distinct edge over humans when it comes to their prowess in ripping off limbs and gouging out eyeballs with their bare hands.

~S

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,468 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei
  • Religion:troll

Chimpanzees also hold a distinct edge over humans when it comes to their prowess in ripping off limbs and gouging out eyeballs with their bare hands.

~S

What do you mean exactly? Are you suggesting that because Travis the "pet" chimp mutilated a woman (what I presume to be the allusion) we're supposed to hold all chimps as being barbarous? I can give endless examples of horrors perpetrated by Homo sapiens. One example I was recently reading about:
Spoiler

And while male common chimps are prone to aggressive behavior, bonobos - the other extant species of chimp - are nonviolent. (The behavior of Homo sapiens is more comparable to common chimps than to bonobos.) Also, I think macaques are much better than humans in terms of the goodness of their nature - for example they are in many ways highly empathetic and altruistic. We torture and kill a great many macaques in experiments and product testing, including vivisections.
Primate behavior is complicated and to some extent morally ambiguous (including humans). You can find the behaviors that we value as good in common chimps, bonobos, gibbons, macaques, vervet monkeys, and so on. It would be a crude mistake to demonize common chimps. They're capable of nasty things and good things, similar to humans; and they vary as individuals, as do humans. Here is some props to chimps. More on teh chimps.
The universe is a hologram which is isomorphic to the information inscribed on the surface of its boundary.

Mark of teh Cross

Mark of teh Cross

The Bulging Bastion

• Citizen
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

~S

Dope!

Don't mind me I'm just collecting teh evidence to take to the story thread.

BB is the smartest Ape of them all.

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,468 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei
Just watched these vids. lawl

http://trailers.appl...ney/chimpanzee/
The universe is a hologram which is isomorphic to the information inscribed on the surface of its boundary.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Citizen
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationCanada

What do you mean exactly? Are you suggesting that because Travis the "pet" chimp mutilated a woman (what I presume to be the allusion) we're supposed to hold all chimps as being barbarous? I can give endless examples of horrors perpetrated by Homo sapiens. One example I was recently reading about:

Spoiler

And while male common chimps are prone to aggressive behavior, bonobos - the other extant species of chimp - are nonviolent. (The behavior of Homo sapiens is more comparable to common chimps than to bonobos.) Also, I think macaques are much better than humans in terms of the goodness of their nature - for example they are in many ways highly empathetic and altruistic. We torture and kill a great many macaques in experiments and product testing, including vivisections.
Primate behavior is complicated and to some extent morally ambiguous (including humans). You can find the behaviors that we value as good in common chimps, bonobos, gibbons, macaques, vervet monkeys, and so on. It would be a crude mistake to demonize common chimps. They're capable of nasty things and good things, similar to humans; and they vary as individuals, as do humans. Here is some props to chimps. More on teh chimps.

I interpreted his quote as referring to a physiological advantage on the part of chimpanzees to carry out certain acts of violence against similarly shaped animals. ^_^
For instance, the human mouth seems to have developed such that it wouldn't be easy to chew off someone else's face, while it seems that chimpanzees are able to do so rather more easily.
Spoiler

24This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.
25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.
Jn:21:24-25

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,468 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei
Whatever the proper interpretation, this makes everything all better. Imho.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Citizen
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationCanada

Whatever the proper interpretation, this makes everything all better. Imho.

I really cannot think of a single thing that isn't made better by that song.
24This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.
25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

Sternhauser

Sternhauser
  • Citizen
  • 78 posts

Spoiler

Bonobos prostitute themselves. They're dirty hippie monkeys. Humans may sometimes resort to cannibalism, torture, rape, execution, infanticide, warfare, racism, xenophobia, and genocide, but at least we humans pretend we shouldn't do those things. Those godless monkeys don't even bother pretending to care. We humans have very strict rules about how to justify slaughtering innocent members of our own species. Monkeys slake their thirst on the blood of baby monkeys. They don't pay taxes. And they scare little girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-D5c67UopI

This guy was giving airplane rides to baby monkeys, and ends up being chased by the entire monkey nation.

And they don't respect private property, also.

Monkeys are monstrous, face-ripping hellspawn. And funny.

Q.E.D.

~S

Apotheoun

Apotheoun

Second Member of Sub Tuum and Phatmass Church Scholar Emeritus

• Citizen
  • 2,924 posts
  • Religion:Melkite Catholic

"There is a paradoxical dimension whereby we can say that God is both in everything and everything, and yet is essentially in nothing and nothing." St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain

Mark of teh Cross

Mark of teh Cross

The Bulging Bastion

• Citizen
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

Bonobos prostitute themselves. They're dirty hippie monkeys.

This sounds like you think they are sinful, free will?
Besides I think yer only jealous. ;)

They don't pay taxes. And they scare little girls.

What's wrong with that? I thought you agreed with that sort of thing, not paying taxes that is, because of no gov. I hate scaring little girls it hurts my ear drums when they scream.

This guy was giving airplane rides to baby monkeys, and ends up being chased by the entire monkey nation.

Maybe he was so nerdy that they thought he was going to do something to the baby monkeys.

Sternhauser

Sternhauser
  • Citizen
  • 78 posts

This sounds like you think they are sinful, free will?
Besides I think yer only jealous. ;)

They unblinkingly do the bidding of their hellish masters. No more, no less.

What's wrong with that? I thought you agreed with that sort of thing, not paying taxes that is, because of no gov. I hate scaring little girls it hurts my ear drums when they scream.

Society cannot exist without taking money from one's neighbors by force or threat of force. This is a Holy Doctrine of the Church. Do not dance on the line of heresy! Monkeys freely fornicate, eat the offspring of other monkeys and fling poo at each other because they do not have taxation. Taxes, as Oliver Wendell Holmes said, are what we pay for civilized society.

Maybe he was so nerdy that they thought he was going to do something to the baby monkeys.

His name and hat were certainly very nerdy, so I can understand their concern.

~S

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Citizen
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationCanada

Society cannot exist without taking money from one's neighbors by force or threat of force. This is a Holy Doctrine of the Church. Do not dance on the line of heresy! Monkeys freely fornicate, eat the offspring of other monkeys and fling poo at each other because they do not have taxation. Taxes, as Oliver Wendell Holmes said, are what we pay for civilized society.

Death to poo flingers!
Then tax their estate when they're dead.

Brute Beast

Brute Beast

The Belligerent Brute

• Citizen
  • 12,468 posts
  • LocationPanta Rei
Monkey attacks FTW!

Sternhauser

Sternhauser
  • Citizen
  • 78 posts

Death to poo flingers!
Then tax their estate when they're dead.

Amen, brother. But their estates, once they have hap'ly died and returned the dark, vap'rous aether realms from which they were spawned, are entirely comprised of bones piled at the base of their glutting-trees. Let them be burned! A true bon-fire to cheer our hearts.

~S

Mark of teh Cross

Mark of teh Cross

The Bulging Bastion

• Citizen
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

I
For instance, the human mouth seems to have developed such that it wouldn't be easy to chew off someone else's face, while it seems that chimpanzees are able to do so rather more easily.

Ahah but the human mouth in conjunction with its voice box and tongue is able to communicate. And thus able to effectively cause much more death and destruction than any other creature.
Where would Hitler be if he couldn't communicate with his face?
warning the F word is seen here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4YUOEonIE&feature=related
The world was in need of a chimp to do the face off thing with Hitler.

Apotheoun

Apotheoun

Second Member of Sub Tuum and Phatmass Church Scholar Emeritus

• Citizen
  • 2,924 posts
  • Religion:Melkite Catholic

"There is a paradoxical dimension whereby we can say that God is both in everything and everything, and yet is essentially in nothing and nothing." St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain

Mark of teh Cross

Mark of teh Cross

The Bulging Bastion

• Citizen
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phsY7Hj2A4M

Well played!

Mark of teh Cross

Mark of teh Cross

The Bulging Bastion