Welcome to Sub Tuum Praesidium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Novena to St. Raphael the Archangel

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

HCF

HCF

Fierce as red.

• Citizen
  • 1,546 posts
  • Religion:Catholic
I have never been particularly bitter on Valentine's Day, but there have been mild feelings of jealousy when I've seen women with flowers, balloons, and chocolates on February 14th. Yesterday I decided that every time I see a flower, balloon, or chocolate on Tuesday crap I meant Monday LOL I'll say a prayer for my future spouse - should he exist, of course. THEN I thought - hey, I should do a novena. Lo and behold it turns out that St. Raphael is the patron for Catholic singles, so I decided that he would be my novena man (er, angel). Deciding that novenas are serious business lol, I constructed a "four prayer" novena. For those of you who have found your spouse, whether you're dating him or her or already married, I think you'll still find the novena beneficial as parts of it focus on purity and unselfish love. I'm going to start it tonight. This isn't strictly a novena thread per se - if you want to just pray the prayers once that's cool, or if you want to start on Valentine's Day that's fine too. Maybe you'd rather wait a month for whatever reason. It's just an idea I had that I wanted to share with you all.

HCF

HCF

Fierce as red.

• Citizen
  • 1,546 posts
NOVENA TO ST. RAPHAEL THE ARCHANGEL

PART I
O Raphael, lead us towards those we are waiting for, those who are waiting for us! Raphael, Angel of Happy Meetings and Catholic singles, lead us by the hand towards those we are looking for! May all our movements, all their movements, be guided by your Light and transfigured by your Joy. Angel Guide of Tobias, lay the request we now address to you at the feet of Him on whose unveiled Face you are privileged to gaze. Lonely and tired, crushed by the separations and sorrows of earth, we feel the need of calling to you and of pleading for the protection of your wings, so that we may not be as strangers in the Province of Joy, all ignorant of the concerns of our country. Remember the weak, you who are strong--you whose home lies beyond the region of thunder, in a land that is always peaceful, always serene, and bright with the resplendent glory of God. Amen.

PART II
Jesus, Lover of chastity, Mary, Mother most pure, and Joseph, chaste guardian of the Virgin, to you I come at this hour, begging you to plead with God for me. I earnestly wish to be pure in thought, word and deed in imitation of your own holy purity.

Obtain for me, then, a deep sense of modesty which will be reflected in my external conduct. Protect my eyes, the windows of my soul, from anything that might dim the luster of a heart that must mirror only Christ-like purity.

And when the "Bread of Angels becomes the Bread of me" in my heart at Holy Communion, sea lit forever against the suggestions of sinful pleasures.

Heart of Jesus, Fount of all purity, have mercy on us.

PART III
Dear Saint and glorious martyr St. Valentine; Teach us to love unselfishly and to find great joy in giving. Enable all true lovers to bring out the best in each other in God and in God in each other.

PART IV
Glorious Archangel St. Raphael, great prince of the heavenly court, you are illustrious for your gifts of wisdom and grace. You are a guide of those who journey by land or sea or air, consoler of the afflicted, and refuge of sinners. I beg you, assist me in all my needs and in all the sufferings of this life, as once you helped the young Tobias on his travels. Because you are the "medicine of God," I humbly pray you to heal the many infirmities of my soul and the ills that afflict my body. I especially ask of you the favor (name your request) and the great grace of purity to prepare me to be the temple of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

Ecce Agnus Dei, ecce qui tollit peccata mundi

• Servant of servants
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationDixie
  • Religion:traditional Catholic
Sounds pretty cool to me! I'll pray it with you.
Behold, he cometh with the clouds, and every eye shall see him, and they also that pierced him. And all the tribes of the earth shall bewail themselves because of him. Even so. Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, saith the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.

Marie-Therese

Marie-Therese

Do all things with love.

• Citizen
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationEx nihlio
  • Religion:Roman Catholic
I will pray the novena because I have a long history of absolutely hating Valentine's Day bitterly and maybe this will help me be more positive about the holiday in the future. :)
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. ~George Carlin

Crusader

Crusader

The Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and him only shalt thou serve

• Citizen
  • 830 posts
  • Religion:Catholic (traditionalist)
What happened to honoring St. Valentine on St. Valentine's Day? ;)

Slappo

Slappo

Rabbit

• Citizen
  • 1,144 posts
  • Religion:Rabbit
Or St.'s Cyril and Methodius?

:mellow:
Rabbits

Crusader

Crusader

The Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and him only shalt thou serve

• Citizen
  • 830 posts
  • Religion:Catholic (traditionalist)

Or St.'s Cyril and Methodius?

:mellow:

@@

HCF

HCF

Fierce as red.

• Citizen
  • 1,546 posts

What happened to honoring St. Valentine on St. Valentine's Day? ;)

The novena is not strictly about St. Valentine; St. Valentine's Day simply inspired me with the above mentioned idea. Besides, he IS part of the novena.

Paddington

Paddington

The guess-your-age/weight guy who is just too nice.

• Citizen
  • 955 posts
  • Religion:stuff to do with bears
I might hit on the gas station clerk, but there are two of them at the same store that are really win. There used to be three, but one is pregnant now.

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

Ecce Agnus Dei, ecce qui tollit peccata mundi

• Servant of servants
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationDixie
  • Religion:traditional Catholic

I will pray the novena because I have a long history of absolutely hating Valentine's Day bitterly and maybe this will help me be more positive about the holiday in the future. :)

Sounds like someone needs some flowers! :flowers:
Behold, he cometh with the clouds, and every eye shall see him, and they also that pierced him. And all the tribes of the earth shall bewail themselves because of him. Even so. Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, saith the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.

Sacred Music Man

Sacred Music Man

Elementary

• Citizen
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
I am down.
O bone Jesu, miserére nobis,
quia tu creásti nos,
tu redemísti nos sánguine
tuo pretiosíssimo.

Sacred Music Man

Sacred Music Man

Elementary

• Citizen
  • 1,168 posts
Bump.
quia tu creásti nos,
tuo pretiosíssimo.

Sacred Music Man

Sacred Music Man

Elementary

• Citizen
  • 1,168 posts
Bump again...
quia tu creásti nos,
tuo pretiosíssimo.

HCF

HCF

Fierce as red.

• Citizen
  • 1,546 posts
Today is day 4 for me.

Sacred Music Man

Sacred Music Man

Elementary

• Citizen
  • 1,168 posts
Just keeping this in the forefront.
quia tu creásti nos,
tuo pretiosíssimo.

stella

stella
  • Citizen
  • 1 posts
  • Religion:catholic
Hello everyone .

I'm new to the site and funny enough I decide that I was going to start a novena praying to St Raphael .... I start last night ,it not so much as to say that I'm still looking ,but that I may have found that special man ,however it a very very long distant relationship ,him living in the USA and I'm in South Africa ..so my prayer is more to confirm if I have meet my soulmate and that St Raphael will pray with me to our heavenly Father that this is real love.

So I hope i can still join you in saying the prayers.
until later
Stella

Sacred Music Man

Sacred Music Man

Elementary

• Citizen
  • 1,168 posts
last day! :woot:
quia tu creásti nos,
tuo pretiosíssimo.

Ziggamafu

Ziggamafu
  • Citizen
  • 11 posts
  • Religion:Ad Orientem Catholic
So I was just woken up by my children after a near sleepless night (new baby) and, in my exhausted, brainless, stupor, thought that this thread was titled: "Novena to STOP Raphael the Archangel"

I was like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

HCF

HCF

Fierce as red.

• Citizen
  • 1,546 posts
LOL.

I finished the novena last night. :)

Hilde

Hilde

quack in fear, for Hilde is near.

• Citizen
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Religion:Catholic wannabe
I've never really been into st.Raphael before, I've mostly thought st.Michael is teh kool. But if he's the angel man of the singles, I think he might be my new buddy.
Posted Image